Monday 12 August 2013

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

First Published: 1813
Date Started: 2nd August 2013
Date Finished: 8th August 2013
Genre: Classic/Romance
Read For: Casual/1001 Books
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This well known and beloved classic of English literature tells the story of the 5 Bennett sisters in their quest to find a suitable husband to marry. Dealing with issues like marriage and morality, this early 19th century novel is a book that was loved when first released and is still loved now, both by academics and by people who just enjoy a good book.
The famous couple of the book, Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy, is one that has been written into the history of English literature and whether or not you have read the book, chances are high you have at least heard of them.
As well as these two characters, the opening of the book is one that is recognized to literary lovers all over the world.

Pride and Prejudice had been one of those books that I started and read a few pages of but then put down and never read again. This time I was determined to get through it all. One problem that I had though was that after I had read Northanger Abbey, I was a bit put off reading any of Austen's other works as I worried that I wouldn't enjoy it.  I can happily say that I was wrong.

The relationship between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy was what kept me going to read the book. I had an idea that they got together in the end, yet when reading the book I was kept intrigued due to all the events and the nature of these two characters, as well as the surrounding ones. How they got together in the end, I felt was truly representative of them and makes Pride and Prejudice the love story that it is.

I'm not declaring myself a 'Janeite', who relies on Austen related things in order to breathe and live, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate on reading another of her books. Perhaps I might re-read Northanger Abbey one day and have a different view, however I'd have to wait and see.


 

3 comments:

  1. My experience with 'Pride and Prejudice' is similar to yours. I read it for my Matura (the Austrian highschool leaving exam qualifying for university) and it didn't actually send me into raptures - maybe because I'm not a huge fan of love stories. It needed the BBC TV adaptation from the 1990s to convince me that it was a great book after all. Since then it has been one of my favourites and one of few books which I've read a couple of times.

    I like your review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with Jane Austen, it's good to say that you have at least read one of her books. I might read it again in the future and I may love it more. I would be interested to see a TV/movie adaptation of it.

      Thank you. I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  2. I have this on my TBR list and have only seen good reviews. I hope to get to read it soon and I hope I like it too. I know the basic outline of the story (thanks to movies, etc), but I do want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete