Wednesday 14 August 2013

Walking Home by Simon Armitage

First Published: 2012 by Faber and Faber (London)
Date Started: 8th August 2013
Date Finished: 12th August 2013
Genre: Travel
Read For: Casual
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the summer of 2010, Simon Armitage decided to walk the Pennine Way. However, he did the walk backwards. Normally approached from south to north, Armitage did it from north to south. That way he really would be walking home. He also did it with no money. Relying on his poetry and the kindness of strangers, he tackled the grueling 256 mile walk with some difficulties, but with enough strength to keep going to try and prove to himself that he could do it.

Armitage wasn't a new writer to me as I studied his poems when I was doing my GCSE's at school. What was new to me though was this piece of non-fiction travel writing. I bought this book at the York Literature Festival 2013 where he was doing readings of his work at my university. Having managed to get myself a free ticket, due to the university having a limited amount of free tickets for its students, I was excited to go. I also got my book signed by him which I shall continue to treasure.

Where he walks each day is illustrated in ways that I could visualize clearly and effectively. Reading about where he walks made me appreciate the beauty of the English countryside and realize what it is I have on my very own doorstep. Although I won't be taking up the challenge of the Pennine Way, I would like to be able to see parts of it for myself as well as other parts of the English countryside and natural scenery.  

What I loved about this book was the personal touch he gave to it. As a reader, it made me feel like I got to know him a little bit more as the book progressed. The people who he met along the way were described in such detail that it felt like I was walking along with them. Armitage acknowledges the people, it's not a case of I met this person on that day, we chatted for a bit and I never saw them again. They are like characters in a fictional book, each one important in their own ways.

I don't tend to read travel books. Having read some travel pieces in college as part of my A Level English Language & Literature course, I'm not new to this genre. I just normally wouldn't pick one up and read it. After reading this, I would like to be able to read more travel books. In a way, they are like non fictional adventure books. If you do know of any good travel books. or have an interesting travel story to tell, please let me know in the comments below as I would love to read about it.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting book--I may just add it to my ever growing TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that one day you may get to it. TBR lists just never stop growing xD

      Delete